Fall River Talks

Go Back   Fall River Talks > Fall River Talk > Surrounding Towns Talk

Notices

Advertise with us
advertise advertise advertise advertise

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered to our forums. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
  I agree to forum rules 

» Site Navigation
» Home
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 23
0 members and 23 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1012, 10-24-2017 at 11:01 AM.
» Advertisements
» FRT Announcements
Invite your friends FallRiverTalks.com (click here)

We're growing fast! We now have over 770 registered users, and growing every day. Thanks to everyone for supporting this free site ! If you are still a guest, please register now so you will have full access to all the images and forums..

Members must post
A site like this only works if members contribute information, ideas, and experiences. Lurking is fine, but if the majority of people lurk, and do not contribute, it is just not worth the effort. Just a quick post about anything is fine. Somewhere you ate, somebody pissed you off, the price of gas..anything on your mind.(well....almost anything)
We're not asking for a dime. Just a bit of your time. Thanks very much for understanding.
Click here to introduce yourself.

Guests, please click here to register now. It only takes 15 seconds and you will be able to view all the posts on the site. If your not registered, your missing most of the topics.

Do you have a picture you'd like to post anonymously? Maybe a neighbor with a littered lot, government employees goofing off, illegally registered or parked cars, a restaurant with a filthy restroom, or just something you would like to make public. Just take a picture with a digital or cell phone camera and email it to Anonymous Pics
A little detail explaining the picture would be helpful, but not necessary. We will get it posted anonymously.

Advertising space on this site is available now. The site is getting a lot of hits and growing every day. For advertising information Contact Us

Check out our Arcade Games. They are all FREE to play.

» Today's Birthdays
None
» Stats
Members: 1,332
Threads: 878
Top Poster: justsumoldguy (372)
Welcome to our newest member, Yoyo1207

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
justsumoldguy

Default Beach Avenue in Westport

There was an article in The Chronicle about an ongoing effort by the Westport Harbor Neighborhood Association (WHNA) to get a certain avenue closed in Westport to all BUT a certain few. That would be Beach Avenue which is located here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Leading the charge is one John Menard a resident since 1981 whose home has a 150' of frontage on Beach Ave. He has stated that: "he has seen the detrimental effects that high-volume traffic has caused on the road and outlying dunes over the years. The damage done is just not from vehicles but from the party goers who litter and vandalize the area, making it unsanitary."
Another vocal resident was a fellow named Tim Agnew who expanded upon Mr. Menard's description of the horrors that non- residents have wreaked on this ecologically sensitive area from the vehicles parked there by these invaders of their beloved Beach avenue….Oddly enough, living there with a well and a septic system and several cars in large homes is OK though.
Some years ago they apparently got no parking zones set up throughout the entire neighborhood to prevent outsiders from enjoying any access to the Atlantic Ocean at or near Beach Ave. In effect that makes this area exclusive to use by these lucky individuals who happen to live on that avenue. Keep in mind there is some public land there for ALL individuals to enjoy…..if you can get there!
There is also a move to get this avenue made a private way after years of it being a public thoroughfare for residents of this exclusive little section of Westport called Acoaxet and not Westport. I agree with this association and the individuals spearheading a drive to 'save' this area….to a point.
What is needed is adequate parking for visitors to this public area, wouldn't you agree? So how can we accomplish that? How about by eminent domain? Let the town of Westport along with the state come in and remove all the present homes that are in this sensitive area using the laws of eminent domain, particularly any home that has frontage on this Beach Ave. It would benefit the general public, help to protect valuable and sensitive land, and go far in saving this public land that lies past the current homes for generation to enjoy instead of a certain few individuals. What do you think, good idea or what!?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Funkweeda

Who are the outsiders? The 'tenement dwellers' of Fall River? So self-entitled....some people just need to feel important in their own little world.
Funkweeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
justsumoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkweeda View Post
Who are the outsiders? The 'tenement dwellers' of Fall River? So self-entitled....some people just need to feel important in their own little world.
All of us are the 'owners' of that public land at the end of Beach Ave. To include the 'tenement dwellers' of FR and even people as narrow minded and bigotted as you. It is federal and/or state owned property set aside to be used by the general public. I fished off of that point many years ago and it was a nice spot to visit. That is why I think they should agree with the local residents who want something done about the traffic problem on Beach Ave. Easy way would be for several of those residents to lose their house to eminent domain so we could add parking for all the public owners of said land.

But these few residents want to prevent non-residents from using this public land.They have already succeeded in getting the local officials to ban parking anywhere near this public land. Now they want to privatize the street so you cannot even walk to this land!

The area residents want to 'enjoy' this land at the expense of the non area residents. People have used the land in this area which is public land to enjoy for years. That is why this state and federally owned land was set aside...for everyone to enjoy not just the few wealthy residents of Beach Ave. But apparently you don't understand the simple concept of publically owned land do you?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
unfortunate_son

I think you might have misunderstood Funk. I think he was agreeing with you and perhaps jumping all over him was premature?
unfortunate_son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
justsumoldguy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumoldguy View Post
All of us are the 'owners' of that public land at the end of Beach Ave. To include the 'tenement dwellers' of FR and even people as narrow minded and bigotted as you. It is federal and/or state owned property set aside to be used by the general public. I fished off of that point many years ago and it was a nice spot to visit. That is why I think they should agree with the local residents who want something done about the traffic problem on Beach Ave. Easy way would be for several of those residents to lose their house to eminent domain so we could add parking for all the public owners of said land.

But these few residents want to prevent non-residents from using this public land.They have already succeeded in getting the local officials to ban parking anywhere near this public land. Now they want to privatize the street so you cannot even walk to this land!

The area residents want to 'enjoy' this land at the expense of the non area residents. People have used the land in this area which is public land to enjoy for years. That is why this state and federally owned land was set aside...for everyone to enjoy not just the few wealthy residents of Beach Ave. But apparently you don't understand the simple concept of publically owned land do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortunate_son View Post
I think you might have misunderstood Funk. I think he was agreeing with you and perhaps jumping all over him was premature?
I think it is you who mis-read his rebuttal to my initial comment. He is saying that the 'tenement dwellers are the ones who think the are so "self-entitled" probably to include me in that swipe at tenement dwellers in general even though he does not know where I live.

He was not agreeing with me. I know exactly what he said and what he meant. He intimated that 'tenement dwellers' are trying to impose upon the 'rights' of the people of Beach Ave. who want exclusivity to this public land to the detriment of these so called tenement dwellers, and everyone else for that matter.

Unless you live in a cloister, you would know that slowly but surely it is happening everywhere that land touches the water. As an example, you cannot even park along the 12 mile drive in the public parking lots in Newport after dark except in one tiny little spot. Given that the best spots to fish are nowhere near where they allow parking not many people fish during the night there anymore.
How about public access to Watuppa Pond in FR? There is very likely several pieces of public land there but it has been 'absorbed' by abutters in these areas. Find a spot start parking there and soon the no parking signs pop up. This same problem is happening right now in Swansea and has been a long standing battle. Public land that has been absorbed by private abutters.

And that is wrong.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
unfortunate_son

Yes, I completely agree with you that it is wrong what they are doing with so-called public land (and I agree with a lot of what you write about, as well as being tickled by your sign off quote). And I do not live in a cloister as I was born and raised in Newport and know entirely too well what has happened there. But I suppose I took Funk's comment differently. I guess I didn't feel like he was swiping at you (or I for that matter, as a FR tenement dweller, and I like my little apartment, I just hate the city it happens to be in, LOL! ). It seemed more like he was intimating the Westporters were self important, not you or tenement dwellers. But hey, I'm ok with being wrong about it!
unfortunate_son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
justsumoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortunate_son View Post
Yes, I completely agree with you that it is wrong what they are doing with so-called public land (and I agree with a lot of what you write about, as well as being tickled by your sign off quote). And I do not live in a cloister as I was born and raised in Newport and know entirely too well what has happened there. But I suppose I took Funk's comment differently. I guess I didn't feel like he was swiping at you (or I for that matter, as a FR tenement dweller, and I like my little apartment, I just hate the city it happens to be in, LOL! ). It seemed more like he was intimating the Westporters were self important, not you or tenement dwellers. But hey, I'm ok with being wrong about it!
He meant tenant dwellers in a derogatory fashion, that I am sure of.

I do not think that because you live near any body of water that you should have to tolerate outsiders tromping through your property THAT YOU OWN. But if there is public land in your neighborhood but no access to it for the use of the general public, to include the tenant dwellers of FR than there is a problem. This is a familiar theme repeating itself everywhere.

First people in exclusive neighborhoods get someone to set aside land they just happen to abut, saving it "for the public good" at a cost to ALL taxpayers. Then, they get the parking restricted. Now they want to make the road private.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Funkweeda

My sincere apologies for not writing my thoughts clearly. I meant the people of Westport and such were 'self-entitled', not the tenement dwellers. As such, I use that term to describe how people of FR are perceived from surrounding towns. This is a great website to post ideas and thoughts of what it's like to live in FR(and proud) and my intention was not to offend like minded people.
Funkweeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
justsumoldguy

Quote:
My sincere apologies for not writing my thoughts clearly. I meant the people of Westport and such were 'self-entitled', not the tenement dwellers. As such, I use that term to describe how people of FR are perceived from surrounding towns. This is a great website to post ideas and thoughts of what it's like to live in FR(and proud) and my intention was not to offend like minded people.
I could not get that interpretation from your statement but I can accept your explanation. I think that 'tenement dweller' sounds degoratory of and unto itself when you say it a few times out loud. And I felt that your statement indicated that they were the self entitled not the rich residents of Beach Ave. But no harm has been done has there.

I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion. I also believe everyone has the right to print a rebuttal to any statement made as long as no personal attacks are involved. That is not acceptable as far as I am concerned.

There was some noise in the HN about similar situations in Swansea where abutters to public land have "absorbed public access areas adjacent to their own properties. The other issue I have is if a town has public access to a wooded reserve or the water how come they are not providing adequate parking for people to park and use these publically owned properties. Then, some of these 'public areas' are nothing more than the end of a dead end street that fronts itself on the water.

You know, I can also understand how a home owner who lives on Beach Ave. can get upset when he cannot get down his own street because of others blocking access to his own home he paid a bundle for because they are parking on that supposedly narrow street or on his front lawn. Then add the trash left behind and they validated the need for no parking in the whole area and now the desire to get the street converted to a private way. If the towns can't or won't provide [arking for public access to these small areas then they should let the abutter buy them and add them to the tax base.
I would have no qualms about these little areas being sold to the abutters. No on e can effectively use them in any event BUT how these people are trying to 'acquire' this particular piece of land without actually owning it is what set me off!